[Python-ideas] string.format() default variable assignment

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Mar 2 19:27:38 EST 2013

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 09:53:47 -0500, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 1:54 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, but reply-all sends a copy to the poster as well as the list. What
>> I want is reply-list, acknowledging the list headers... and Gmail
>> simply doesn't have that.
>
> I've been replying to the poster and the list for ages. Is it bad
> netiquette?

I find it annoying, and yes I consider it rude. When we receive messages
via a list, responses (unless personal and deliberately taken outside of
the list) should remain on the list, rather than potentially bypassing
any filters set up by the sender. E.g. the sender may have a filter that
files mail to "Python-list" into a mail folder. If you send to the sender
directly, you may break their filters.

I read this list via Usenet, not email. So when somebody replies to me,
and the list, I get a copy in my inbox and a copy in my news client.
That's a de facto filter, which they have just broken.

The mailman software used for the Python lists seem to be smart enough to
only send the user one copy. But many mailing lists are not, and so when
you reply to the author and CC the list, they may very well receive two
copies.

In effect, the person replying is saying "MY reply is so important that I
don't care how you process mail, I'm going to try to force you to read it
MY way instead of in your preferred way." So, yes, I do consider it rude.

In the grand scheme of things though, it is a relatively minor rudeness.
Pushing into line, or invading personal space, rather than breaking into
my house and smearing excrement on the walls.

--
Steven