[Python-ideas] string.format() default variable assignment

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 22:54:49 EST 2013

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 04:07:19 +1100, Chris Angelico replied to a thread of
> Python-ideas:
>
>> You're asking for a facility whereby variables magically get pulled from
>> the caller's scope.
>
> As interesting as that is, I think you sent it to the wrong list :)

Yes, as was pointed out to me privately.

The message had the "feel" of something that belonged on python-list,
and I never for a moment thought that it was an -ideas thread...

> Again.
>
> O_o
>

> No offence Chris, but you're the only person I know who *regularly*
> replies to the wrong list. Does your mail client not have a "Reply to
> List" command, or "Reply All"? If so, then you should use it rather than
> manually typing the (wrong) list address in.

Correct, Gmail doesn't. I should switch to Thunderbird (or something
else, but I've heard a good many recommendations for Tbird) but have
yet to get around to setting it up.

ChrisA