Do you feel bad because of the Python docs?

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 22:12:37 EST 2013

On Mar 7, 12:57 pm, Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohn... at gmail.com> wrote:
> GvR DOES NOT need to mention my name. All i am asking is that he show
> some support for the general *idea* of "lowering the bar for bug/grievance
> reporting". Or at least start by admitting we have a problem.

Your obsession with Guido is tiring. Open source is not a cult of
personality. It's about doing what you can where you can when you can
to make things better. Insisting that he "endorse" your ideas is
ridiculous.

> Secondly: The "report bugs" feature of the doc is more concerned with
> "doc related" bugs.

It would really help your arguments if you actually spent some time
investigating the issues you're ranting against:

http://docs.python.org/3/bugs.html

Documentation bugs are a brief paragraph at the top of the page, the
rest of which addresses bugs with the language & standard library.

> I want a holistic approach that will invite ALL Python related issues (docs,
> language, community, modules, 3rd party modules, etc...) to follow a linear path.

Third party modules will never be handled by the Python bug tracker,
nor should they be lumped into the same "path"; they're the concern of
their developers who shouldn't be bound by your desire for a One True
Way. Community "bugs" should be addressed on the python list.

> My point is that we

You keep saying "we" when you mean other people apart from yourself.
If you have ideas for improvement, _then implement them_. The crate.io
guys didn't wait for community validation to address what they
perceived were issues with PyPI, they rolled up their sleeves and did
something about it.