Python development tools

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 02:13:44 EDT 2013

On Monday, June 24, 2013 11:04:48 AM UTC+5:30, cutems93 wrote:
> Alright. Thanks everyone for your responses. I just want to know what tools
> are GENERALLY used by professional developers. I am helping somebody who
> wants to know about software that he might use in his project. He does not
> know what kind of project it will be, but it will be more like scripting in
> the beginning. I know my question is somewhat vague, but this is all I can
> give you. Could you help me by sharing your experiences?

There was a thread on editors a few months ago where I made some suggestions:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-January/639351.html and following

I dont know what you mean my 'scripting'
Anyhow I'll add this: the python docs are exceptionally well-written and a pleasure to go through.

Start with http://docs.python.org/2/library/
Heres a suggested order to navigate

5 Subsects 1 to 9 are important
10 File and Directory subsects 1 2 7 3
27.1 sys
13 1 and 2 (csv and config)
Some 3rd party config parsers better than builtin
15 1 os
One of 15. 4 5 or 6 (command line parsing)
Yes this is a bit of a mess

22 Internationalization (unicode) is increasingly important but I cannot make head-or-tail of it. Python 2 and 3 completely inconsistent in this area

On general note about python's object orientation:
If by 'scripting' you mean working within some large App's environment eg libreoffice or blender which are scripted with python, then you need to carefully understand that app's object model.

If by scripting you mean something like shell-scripting and a few steps beyond, just forget about OO