n00b question on spacing

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 20:48:11 EDT 2013

On Saturday, June 22, 2013 6:12:50 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
> As a general rule, I don't like separating format strings and their
> arguments.

Huh? Format strings don't take arguments because Python's built-in string type is not callable.

  py> callable("")
  False

"Format string" is just a generic term we apply to normal string literals that include special markers (called "placeholders") that define the final location and specify the specifics of an Object(s) translation into string type.