A Beginner's Doubt

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 14:34:12 EDT 2013

On 19 June 2013 17:39, Joel Goldstick <joel.goldstick at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the subject that this teacher of yours teaches?
> Do you know anyone who has every done any programming?
> Why python?

One of those questions is too easy :P.

But, no, I'd actually point out that Python might *not* be the best
language for the job! *GASP!* *HERETIC* *I'M TELLING!*

If you just want a GUI interface program, I'd recommend JavaScript.
Heck, if you don't mind the compiler troubles I'd use CoffeeScript.

"Why?!" You scream! Well, it's definitely not the language. The GUI
toolkit, HTML, however, is ace for really small
compatibility-don't-really-matter scripts. A couple old examples from
before I "went Python" are attached, not to show off the somewhat lame
code but just to point out that even as a new programmer these things
were *concise*. That made them so many billions of times easier.

<Beside the Point>
Be careful not to mistake the libraries I used for the code I wrote,
too. The amount of code *I* wrote for each numbers very few lines
(just the main two html files).
About half in total was HTML/CSS, so doesn't even count as code. I
wrote these for me, so pretend they're licensed strictly. Anything I
can give away I do, but it's best to check the licences anyway.

Please note that if you don't run these in a modern Chrome/Chromium
browser you'll have a bad time - I never bothered with compatibility.
Also, apologies for snatching the coffeescript.org coffeescript - but
I didn't want to mail a 60KB attachment.

Instructions: Guessing the rules is part of the game. They're both
thinking games, by the way. For Z-Rox clone, the inspiration is from
http://www.kongregate.com/games/evildog/z-rox.
<End Beside the Point>

How is this relevant to you? Well, JQuery will make what you've
written probably just couple of hundred lines. Forget about 2000!
This isn't relevant if any of:
1) You have to use python
2) You don't want a silly web interface
3) Any other good reason