A Beginner's Doubt

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 12:39:51 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:58:19 AM UTC-5, augus... at gmail.com wrote:
> > This is my first post in this group and the reason why I
> > came across here is that, despite my complete lack of
> > knowledge in the programming area, I received an order
> > from my teacher to develop a visually interactive program,
>
> Ah teachers, you gotta love them! High on a power trip.
> Drunk on tenure. Most of which are overpaid and
> under-worked. Can't work with them, can't fire them!
>
>  "HAY, TEACH-AH! Leave them kids alone!"
>
> > until 20th July, so we can participate in a kind of
> > contest. My goal is to learn and program it by myself, as
> > good as the time allows me. That said, what I seek here is
> > advice from people who definitively have more experience
> > than me on topics like: is it possible to develop this
> > kind of program in such a short amount of time?
>

> > What kinds of aspects of Python should I focus on
> > learning?
>

> What tutorials and websites are out there that
> > can help me?

DO you have access to google?

> What kind of already done packages are out
> > there that I can freely use, so I do not need to create
> > all the aspects of the program froms scratch? It would be
> > wise to give an abstract of the program.
>

> > Full screen window -> Title and brief introductory text -> 3 Buttons
> (Credits) (Instructions) and (Start)
> > (Credits) -> Just plain text and a return button
> > (Instructions) -> Just plain text and a return button
> > (Start) -> Changes the screen so it displays a side-menu and a Canvas.
> > Side menu -> X number of buttons (maybe 4 or 5)
> > Buttons -> Clicked -> Submenu opens -> List of images
> >                                     -> Return button -> Back to side menu
> > Image in List of images -> When clicked AND hold mouse button -> Make
> copy
> >                         -> if: dragged to canvas -> paste the copy in
> place
> >                         -> if: dragged anywhere else -> delete copy and
> nothing happens
> > On canvas:
> > Image -> On click and drag can be moved
> >       -> Double click -> Opens menu -> Resize, Deform, Rotate, Color,
> Brigthness, Contrast, Color Curve, Saturation
> > Then, somewhere in cavas:
> > Save option -> Prompt for file and user's name
> >             -> Prompt if users want printed copy or not -> Print
> >             -> After saved, display random slideshow in other monitor,
> device or screen with the users' creations.
>

> THis looks like a description of a program that is already completed

> --

This post seems so unlikely to me.  What is the subject that this teacher
of yours teaches?  Do you know anyone who has every done any programming?
Why python?

One of your problems is that you are being asked to pick a framework,
understand how to use it without having any basic knowledge of how to write
a computer program.  I'm not a teacher, but personally this seems like a
really idiotic way to teach a student to learn how programming works.

I think that you should write a text on first term calculus in french, or
maybe in chinese.  Its a similar problem.  You need to learn your topic
(calculus, some unknown framework), and then you need to exercise your
topic in a foreign language.

Anyway, here's a book that might be useful: http://inventwithpython.com/

When (if) you get this done, come back and let us see your program

--
Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com