A Beginner's Doubt

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 11:31:28 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:58:19 AM UTC-5, augus... at gmail.com wrote:
> This is my first post in this group and the reason why I
> came across here is that, despite my complete lack of
> knowledge in the programming area, I received an order
> from my teacher to develop a visually interactive program,

Ah teachers, you gotta love them! High on a power trip.
Drunk on tenure. Most of which are overpaid and
under-worked. Can't work with them, can't fire them!

 "HAY, TEACH-AH! Leave them kids alone!"

> until 20th July, so we can participate in a kind of
> contest. My goal is to learn and program it by myself, as
> good as the time allows me. That said, what I seek here is
> advice from people who definitively have more experience
> than me on topics like: is it possible to develop this
> kind of program in such a short amount of time?

Develop what kind of program exactly? You see, usually you
want to explain the details of your problem *before* you ask
a question in relation to that problem, *ESPECIALLY* in the
case of a generic question! How do you expect us to provide
an answer? I mean, heck, even when faced with a post more
riddled with more expletives than a prostitute has STD's,
we can usually deduce the context of "it", however, in this
case your just plain obfuscating!

 "What's the frequency Kenneth?"

> What kinds of aspects of Python should I focus on
> learning? What tutorials and websites are out there that
> can help me? What kind of already done packages are out
> there that I can freely use, so I do not need to create
> all the aspects of the program froms scratch? It would be
> wise to give an abstract of the program.

Yes, and wiser if you had given it at post.index[0]!

 "Somethings happin' here" (at c.l.py)
 "What it is ain't exactly clear"
 "There's a post without context there!"
 "Tellin' me, i got to beware!"

> Full screen window -> Title and brief introductory text -> 3 Buttons (Credits) (Instructions) and (Start)
> (Credits) -> Just plain text and a return button
> (Instructions) -> Just plain text and a return button
> (Start) -> Changes the screen so it displays a side-menu and a Canvas.
> Side menu -> X number of buttons (maybe 4 or 5)
> Buttons -> Clicked -> Submenu opens -> List of images
>                                     -> Return button -> Back to side menu
> Image in List of images -> When clicked AND hold mouse button -> Make copy
>                         -> if: dragged to canvas -> paste the copy in place
>                         -> if: dragged anywhere else -> delete copy and nothing happens
> On canvas:
> Image -> On click and drag can be moved
>       -> Double click -> Opens menu -> Resize, Deform, Rotate, Color, Brigthness, Contrast, Color Curve, Saturation
> Then, somewhere in cavas:
> Save option -> Prompt for file and user's name
>             -> Prompt if users want printed copy or not -> Print
>             -> After saved, display random slideshow in other monitor, device or screen with the users' creations.

Easy. Pick up Tkinter and learn how to:

 1. Display a window.

 2. Display a button and associate a block of code to be
 called when the button is pressed.

 3. Learn how to create a menu and attach it to a topwindow.
 Then add command and associate actions with those commands.

 4. Display a canvas, then insert images in the canvas, then
 manipulate them. Manipulation will require input from the
 user, which involves either dialogs(easy) or interactive
 modifications(difficult)

PS: What the hell is a "side menu"?
PPS: Good luck ;^)