A Beginner's Doubt

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 10:20:10 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM,  <augustofec at gmail.com> wrote:
> My goal is to learn and program it by myself, as good as the time allows me. That said, what I seek here is advice from people who definitively have more experience than me on topics like: is it possible to develop this kind of program in such a short amount of time? What kinds of aspects of Python should I focus on learning? What tutorials and websites are out there that can help me? What kind of already done packages are out there that I can freely use, so I do not need to create all the aspects of the program froms scratch?

One month to develop a program in Python? Absolutely possible, but you
WILL have your work cut out for you :)

You seem to have a fairly readable spec there. It'll be reasonably
straight-forward to turn that into code.

Spend some time writing other little tests, though. One way or
another, you will probably spend the next week writing code you throw
away; if you try to tackle the primary project immediately, you'll
have to rewrite parts of it as you learn. It's easier to throw away a
toy "Hello world" program than hunks of what you thought would be your
final code.

You may want to start with console programs, since they're ever so
much easier to write. But mainly, start writing. You have one month;
the best way to learn is to read stuff and pump stuff out. Make a
whole PILE of rubbishy code, watch what it does, learn from it. You'll
be amazed how much you can achieve in a week, much less a month. And
you'll love Python. :)

ChrisA