A Beginner's Doubt

augustofec at gmail.com augustofec at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 09:58:19 EDT 2013

Hello!
This is my first post in this group and the reason why I came across here is that, despite my complete lack of knowledge in the programming area, I received an order from my teacher to develop a visually interactive program, until 20th July, so we can participate in a kind of contest.

My goal is to learn and program it by myself, as good as the time allows me. That said, what I seek here is advice from people who definitively have more experience than me on topics like: is it possible to develop this kind of program in such a short amount of time? What kinds of aspects of Python should I focus on learning? What tutorials and websites are out there that can help me? What kind of already done packages are out there that I can freely use, so I do not need to create all the aspects of the program froms scratch?

It would be wise to give an abstract of the program. I made an information flux kind of graphic, but I do not know how to post it in here, so I'll use only words:

Full screen window -> Title and brief introductory text -> 3 Buttons (Credits) (Instructions) and (Start)

(Credits) -> Just plain text and a return button
(Instructions) -> Just plain text and a return button
(Start) -> Changes the screen so it displays a side-menu and a Canvas.

Side menu -> X number of buttons (maybe 4 or 5)
Buttons -> Clicked -> Submenu opens -> List of images
                                    -> Return button -> Back to side menu

Image in List of images -> When clicked AND hold mouse button -> Make copy
                        -> if: dragged to canvas -> paste the copy in place
                        -> if: dragged anywhere else -> delete copy and nothing happens

On canvas:
Image -> On click and drag can be moved
      -> Double click -> Opens menu -> Resize, Deform, Rotate, Color, Brigthness, Contrast, Color Curve, Saturation

Then, somewhere in cavas:

Save option -> Prompt for file and user's name
            -> Prompt if users want printed copy or not -> Print
            -> After saved, display random slideshow in other monitor, device or screen with the users' creations.

Thats basically the whole program. I've been studying Python for a week and half now, through: How to think like a Computer Scientist and Invent with Python and Pygame. I'm still at the very beggining, though, and I can't make much more than make some images appear on a Pygame screen in a menu-like style, with a patterned gap between them. No mouse interactions up to now.

I really appreciate your suggestions and help.
Thank you!
Augusto