another language with classes?

Ivan Shmakov oneingray at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 09:48:13 EDT 2013

>>>>> R Kantas <rbk at online.de> writes:

	[Cross-posting to news:comp.lang.python, news:comp.lang.scheme,
	looking for more first-hand experience with these.  Sadly,
	there's no news:comp.lang.go as of yet.]

 > I came into first contact with objects and classes programming under
 > Visual Basic 5/6 (VB classic) and found theese capabilities were
 > useful for efficient programming.  Now, as this VB is no longer
 > supported by Microsoft I'm going to switch to another language, and
 > my question is which other of the popular programming lnguages has
 > such a construct like VB's classes where code and data can be
 > completely separated from the rest of the program, so that very handy
 > reusable code components can be created.

	I've had only a passing experience with VB, and even then, it
	dates back to the mid-1990'es, so I may not understand what
	exactly you're asking for, but my understanding is that most of
	the contemporary high-level languages, both compiled and not,
	offer comparable facilities.

	In particular, Go [1] appears to offer a simple yet powerful OO
	system, and even though it's still a very new language
	(introduced in 2009), it already has an extensive library, and
	offers the compiled code's performance comparable to that of C.

	The other popular choice is Python [2], and the one I'd like to
	investigate myself is Racket [3] (which is a dialect of Scheme,
	which in turn is a dialect of Lisp.)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(programming_language)
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_(programming_language)
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racket_(programming_language)