Beginner Question: 3D Models

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Wed Jun 19 02:00:41 EDT 2013

Am 19.06.13 04:47, schrieb andrewblundon at gmail.com:
> However, for one part of the program I'd like to be able to create a
> 3D model based on the user input.  The model would be very basic
> consisting of a number of lines and objects.  We have 3D models of
> each component within our CAD system so it would be great if we could
> utilize those models.

Have a look at vtk

http://www.vtk.org/

Using VTK you can import CAD models and visualize them, combine to
scenes and export. VTK has Python bindings. It is a real big library,
but focused on polygonal models, i.e. it will happily import STL and
OBJ, but not IGES and the like ith real curves. Then the question is how
you'd want to export your model. VTK can export to VRML and X3D, but if
you want to CREATE a real model by CSG of the exisiting parts, you would
need a true CAD system. There is not much useful free stuff out there,
you could try BRL-CAD or OpenCascade. The latter also has python
bindings. http://www.pythonocc.org/

	Christian