Beginner Question: 3D Models

Fábio Santos fabiosantosart at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 08:07:48 EDT 2013

On 19 Jun 2013 12:56, "Oscar Benjamin" <oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 June 2013 12:13,  <andrewblundon at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've seen some information on Blender.  Is it possible to have the
entire program contained within a single exe (or exe and some other files)
so that it can be passed around and used by others without having to
install blender?

> I don't know if Blender would cause problems for that but it's not
> hard to install Blender generally; apparently there is a portable
> version that can be simply unzipped on the target computer.
>
> More generally, though, there are some legal issues relating to
> packaging standard MSVC-compiled Python with all of its dependencies
> in a single .exe file for Windows. The particular problem is the
> Microsoft C runtime library. py2exe has some information about this
> here:
> http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/Tutorial
>
> Generally Python is not designed with the intention that applications
> would be packaged into a standalone executable file although a number
> of projects exist to make that possible. Is it so hard for your users
> to install Python and Blender if you tell them which files to download
> and install?
>

> Oscar

I don't know about the legality of it, but I've used blender in the past to
make executable (exe) files with small games and distributed them without
problems. The exe files were standalone (except for a few DLLs which I
would place in the same folder) and it worked rather well.