Beginner Question: 3D Models

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 07:52:10 EDT 2013

On 19 June 2013 12:13,  <andrewblundon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've seen some information on Blender.  Is it possible to have the entire program contained within a single exe (or exe and some other files) so that it can be passed around and used by others without having to install blender?

I don't know if Blender would cause problems for that but it's not
hard to install Blender generally; apparently there is a portable
version that can be simply unzipped on the target computer.

More generally, though, there are some legal issues relating to
packaging standard MSVC-compiled Python with all of its dependencies
in a single .exe file for Windows. The particular problem is the
Microsoft C runtime library. py2exe has some information about this
here:
http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/Tutorial

Generally Python is not designed with the intention that applications
would be packaged into a standalone executable file although a number
of projects exist to make that possible. Is it so hard for your users
to install Python and Blender if you tell them which files to download
and install?

Oscar