Version Control Software

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 17:59:42 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2013-06-13, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> I do almost exclusively Linux dev, but occasionally nip onto Windows
>> for one reason or another (possibly inside a virtual machine). It's
>> possible to get git for Windows, including gitk and 'git gui' (not
>> sure about any other graphical tools, they're the only two I use)
>
> Unfortunately, something that requires typing commands would not fly.
> I mostly use svn via command line and sometimes via meld, but for some
> others (even one Linux developer), if it can't be done done entirely
> from a GUI, then it isn't going to get done.
>
> If it wasn't for Cygwin, I'd never be able to accomplish much of
> anything in Windows. :)

Check out 'git gui' then - and in the Windows build, that's in the
Start menu directly. I usually use git gui only for partial commits
(it's more convenient than 'git add -p' when the parts to commit and
the parts to not-commit are right next to each other), but it can be
your full console. For those who like the graphical things in life,
it's a good choice.

That and gitk for viewing the repo. I use gitk *all the time*, at work
and on my own projects, because it is excellent. (Actually I use a
minorly-patched gitk; must remember to submit the patch upstream some
day.)

ChrisA