Version Control Software

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Jun 13 17:53:34 EDT 2013

On 2013-06-13, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The last time we made the choice (4-5 years ago), Windows support for
>> get, bzr, and hg was definitely lacking compared to svn.  The lack of
>> something like tortoisesvn for hg/git/bzr was a killer.  It looks like
>> the situation has improved since then, but I'd be curious to hear from
>> people who do their development on Windows.
>
> I do almost exclusively Linux dev, but occasionally nip onto Windows
> for one reason or another (possibly inside a virtual machine). It's
> possible to get git for Windows, including gitk and 'git gui' (not
> sure about any other graphical tools, they're the only two I use), but
> the most convenient way to use them is from a ported bash.
> Fortunately, the installer will provide all of that, putting a 'Git
> Bash' entry into the Start menu, and for someone who's come from Linux
> anyway, working in bash is quite welcome.

Unfortunately, something that requires typing commands would not fly.
I mostly use svn via command line and sometimes via meld, but for some
others (even one Linux developer), if it can't be done done entirely
from a GUI, then it isn't going to get done.

If it wasn't for Cygwin, I'd never be able to accomplish much of
anything in Windows. :)

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Oh my GOD -- the
                                  at               SUN just fell into YANKEE