My son wants me to teach him Python

Alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 17 17:11:22 EDT 2013

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 15:33:29 -0700, Rick Johnson wrote:

> On Sunday, June 16, 2013 4:52:16 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> Okay... I'm trying to get my head around what you've done here. Isn't
>> it simply that you've made a way to, with what looks like a
>> point-and-click interface, let the user type in a command line?
>> [...]
>> That's no more using a GUI than bringing up a terminal is.
>
> Yes, a Graphical Interface will need the occasional "peck-peck" input
> from the user, the only difference from a text based interface is the
> INFINITY multiplier. The Graphical Interface prefers the point and
> click, but NOT exclusively! The Graphical Interface allows you apply the
> most efficient method by which to solve a problem -- again, that might
> be "peck-peck" or "point-click", OR, a combination of both. Depends on
> the situation really.

You have now completed the circle back to where everone else has always
been " use the correct tool for the job"

I believe that most programmers would probably follow the aproch of :-

1) write the code to perform the task
2) write a wrapper to present the user with a suitable interface

stage 2 could be either a GUI or a CLUE (Command Line User Interface :-)
) or possibly even both depending on the application.

--
An age is called Dark not because the light fails to shine, but because
people refuse to see it.