My son wants me to teach him Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 00:53:57 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:08:44 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> No. Definitely not. Programming does NOT begin with a GUI. It begins
>> with something *simple*, so you're not stuck fiddling around with the
>> unnecessary. On today's computers, that usually means console I/O
>> (actually console output, with console input coming along much later).
>
> Chris, you're a dinosaur, only thing is, somebody forgot to tell you.
>
> *Everything* these days revolves around graphical interfaces. The console, which was once the dark and mystical battlefield where knighted geeks would slay the plagues of exception demons, has been reduced to a mere: "little black box of nostalgia".
>
>  1. Rock is dead...
>  2. The console is dead...
>  3. Welcome to the 21st century Chris!
>
> PS: Although i'll bet you think the "rock is dead" mantra is relatively recent, nope! Jim Morrison was singing about it waaay back in 1969!

1. Rock is not dead, remove the covering paper and you'll find it's
happily smashed scissors.

2. The console is healthy. It's often now seen alongside a GUI, with
neither being by any means dead. And "glass teletype" is still the
easiest UI to program for in any language.

3. Thanks! I've been here for a while, but it's still nice to be made welcome.

ChrisA