My son wants me to teach him Python

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 00:47:23 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:08:44 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:

> No. Definitely not. Programming does NOT begin with a GUI. It begins
> with something *simple*, so you're not stuck fiddling around with the
> unnecessary. On today's computers, that usually means console I/O
> (actually console output, with console input coming along much later).

Chris, you're a dinosaur, only thing is, somebody forgot to tell you.

*Everything* these days revolves around graphical interfaces. The console, which was once the dark and mystical battlefield where knighted geeks would slay the plagues of exception demons, has been reduced to a mere: "little black box of nostalgia".

 1. Rock is dead...
 2. The console is dead...
 3. Welcome to the 21st century Chris!

PS: Although i'll bet you think the "rock is dead" mantra is relatively recent, nope! Jim Morrison was singing about it waaay back in 1969!