A few questiosn about encoding

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 11:26:20 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 1:12 AM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:04:50 AM UTC-5, Andrew Berg wrote:
>> On 2013.06.20 08:40, Rick Johnson wrote:
>
>> >     then what is the purpose of a Unicode Braille character set?
>> Two dimensional characters can be made into 3 dimensional shapes.
>
> Yes in the real world. But what about on your computer
> screen? How do you plan on creating tactile representations of
> braille glyphs on my monitor? Hey, if you can already do this,
> please share, as it sure would make internet porn more
> interesting!

I had a device for creating embossed text. It predated Unicode by a
couple of years at least (not sure how many, because I was fairly
young at the time). It was made by a company called Epson, it plugged
into the computer via a 25-pin plug, and when it was properly
functioning, it had a ribbon of ink that it would bash through to
darken the underside of the embossed text. But sometimes that ribbon
slipped out of position, and we had beautifully-hammered ASCII text,
unsullied by ink. And since the device did graphics too, it could be
used for the entire Unicode character set if you wanted.

Not sure that it would improve your porn any, but I've no doubt you
could try if you wanted.

ChrisA