Don't feed the troll...

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Tue Jun 18 05:02:15 EDT 2013

Op 18-06-13 01:02, Steven D'Aprano schreef:
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 09:31:53 +0200, Antoon Pardon wrote:

>>> I have never, ever argued that there are no boundaries. I have
>>> repeatedly made it clear to Nikos when I thought he was behaving
>>> improperly. And I've done the same to others when they've acted
>>> improperly.
>> That doesn't mean much. People can and do contradict themselves. So the
>> fact that you made it clear to Nikos that he behaved improperly doesn't
>> contradict you arguing somewhere else in a way that strongly suggest
>> there are no boudaries.
> Except that I have never, ever argued or suggested or even hinted that
> there are no boundaries. The most you might legitimately accuse me of is
> failing to be sufficiently vigilant at enforcing boundaries, according to
> *your* idea of what is sufficient.
>

>> But I'll take note that you assert there are boundaries. So I'll take it
>> that there is nothing wrong with playing Internet Police and taking
>> people to task who transgress this boundaries?
> There is an enormous difference between doing what I, and others, have
> done, which is to *politely* and *fairly* tell Nikos when he has
> transgressed, and what the flame-warriors have done, which is just fire
> off invective and insults.
I disagree. You have been polite to the person who is ruining it for
a lot of other people. What good is it to politely and fairly tell
someone he is transgressing, when he will just continue in the same way.
At some point you keeping to be polite and answering his questions,
becomes enabling behaviour. Your politely and fairly pointing out
his transgressions just becomes a way in cooperating with his annoying
behaviour.

You keeping it polite and fair doens't mean much. It isn't that difficult
to act as an asshole while presenting oneself as being polite and fair.

And no I don't want to imply you are an asshole. I just want to make
it clear I don't put much weight is being polite and fair.

> Not long ago I got taken to task, politely, off-list for responding to
> Ranting Rick with sarcasm. Sometimes the momentary pleasure of a flame
> outweighs the knowledge that it probably isn't doing any good and may be
> doing harm. I get that and don't hold it against anyone if they succumb
> to temptation once in a while. (Those like Peter Otten, who have been
> regulars here for *years* while still showing the patience of a saint,
> never fail to astonish me. If I could be even half as good.)
>
> But continuing to flame after being asked not to, and defending flamers,
> that crosses the line from "spirit is willing, flesh is weak" into
> *willfully bad* territory.

You were asked not to continue encouraging Nikos's assholery behaviour.
So it seems you are in that *willfully bad* territory yourself. And
no, politely and fairly telling Nikos he is transgressing doesn't cut it.
If he keeps acting like an asshole and you keep helping him you are
encouraging his assholery behaviour no matter how many times you
politely and fairly point out his transgressions.

>> One thing I would like to make clear, is that I find you making it clear
>> he behaviour is improper, to be inadequate for the reason that it
>> ignores the possibility that you are playing a troll game.
> Oh my, that's funny.
>
> But seriously, don't do that. I won't put up with that sort of thing. You
> rarely contribute in this community, and now here you are trying to take
> the moral high ground by defending flaming and criticising those who give
> actual helpful, on-topic advice. I won't be called a troll by you. Do it
> again, and you're plonked.

I didn't call you a troll. I just wanted you to consider you might be
participating in what is essentially a troll game. And that what you
see as pointing out a transgression, is just a kind of move in the
game of the troll.

--
Antoon Pardon