Don't feed the troll...

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 12:19:01 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Antoon Pardon
<antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
> Op 21-06-13 04:40, Ian Kelly schreef:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:41 AM, Antoon Pardon
>> <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>>> There are two problems with your reasoning. The first is that you
>>> are equivocating on "expect". "Expect" can mean you will be surprised
>>> if it doesn't happen but it can also mean you will feel indignant or
>>> disappointed or something similar when it doesn't happen.
>>
>> Perhaps I am, but it doesn't change my argument in any way.  When a
>> troll shows up I am not happy about it, but I am not disappointed
>> either, because Trolls Happen.  I am disappointed when members of the
>> community act in ways that are detrimental to the community.  Better?
>
> But that last one doesn't ring true. Enabling a troll is also acting
> in a way that is detrimental to the community. But I haven't seen
> you express disappointment in that.

I've already explained why that is.  First, it's less anguish to
kill-file one troll than several vitriolic regulars (and I realize
that he keeps changing his name, but fortunately I think he's only
used three different /addresses/ in the time that he's been posting).
Second, I don't want to bully anybody into not trying to help a user
where they want to and believe that they can.  It may be "enabling"
for the troll, but it's unhealthy for the list in general.

> Those that expressed their disappointment with the enabling behaviour
> were more or less told they should deal with it. So tell me, why
> should your disappointment merrit more consideration?

When did I ever say that it should?  I'm just putting my own opinions
on the subject out there.

> If you want the python list to be a hospitable place, you have
> to be attentive for signals from other contributors that the
> level of hospitability is decreasing for them. If you ignore
> them or brush them off you then risk loosing them as cooperators
> to that goal. So if later you find the level of hospitability
> is decreasing for you, you are more likely to get ignored or
> brushed off too.

The level of hospitality is already decreasing for me.  That's why I'm
speaking up.