Don't feed the troll...

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 22:40:07 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:41 AM, Antoon Pardon
<antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
> There are two problems with your reasoning. The first is that you
> are equivocating on "expect". "Expect" can mean you will be surprised
> if it doesn't happen but it can also mean you will feel indignant or
> disappointed or something similar when it doesn't happen.

Perhaps I am, but it doesn't change my argument in any way.  When a
troll shows up I am not happy about it, but I am not disappointed
either, because Trolls Happen.  I am disappointed when members of the
community act in ways that are detrimental to the community.  Better?

> The second problem is that I find it a one sided view. If you want
> a courteous, respectful, welcoming and enjoyable to participate in
> list, shouldn't you also be careful in not encouraging trollish
> behaviour? Being courteous to or cooperating with someone behaving
> trollishly, is IMO enabling that kind of behaviour and so those
> doing so, seem to already throw those priciples out the window because
> they are cooperating with the troll who is making this list less
> courteous, respectful, welcoming and enjoyable to participate in
> for a significant number of people.

You'll note that I haven't engaged Nikos at all in some time.  That's
because I think he's a troll.  I think though that those who are
continuing to help him do so because they do not think that he is a
troll.  I am not going to try to thrust my own opinion of who is or is
not a troll and who can or cannot be given help upon the list -- that
is their opinion, they are entitled to it, and maybe they see
something in the exchange that I don't.

That is different in my eyes from somebody who does identify Nikos as
a troll and then goes on to egg him on anyway, whether it be courteous
or belligerent.