Python Game Development?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 12:21:36 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 9:53 AM,  <letsplaysforu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was planning on making a small 2D game in Python. Are there any libraries for this? I know of:
>
> • Pygame - As far as I know it's dead and has been for almost a year
> • PyOgre - Linux and Windows only(I do have those, but I want multi-platform)
> • Cocos2D - Won't install and cant find any support
> • PyCap - Can't find any documentation
> • Panda3D - Dead since 2011 + overkill for what I need
> • PyOpenGL - Overkill
>
> Any help on what to do with this would be appreciated. I am making games mainly in Lua but I'd like to make one in Python for fun. I also understand that Python isn't exactly the *BEST* choice programming a game, but I have heard it is possible. Tell me if it's true. Thanks!

Pygame is still quite commonly used, and the most recent commit was in
April, so I think it's too early to pronounce it dead (although
pgreloaded, which at one point was intended to be a successor to
pygame, is looking a bit dormant now).

A lot of folks also like pyglet, but I've never used it myself.  I
suspect it might also be overkill for you.

And yes, it's definitely possible to make games in Python.  Go to
pyweek.org and check out many of the awesome games that have been
developed in Python in only one week.