How to Begin Web Development with Python ?

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 22:40:06 EDT 2013

On Jun 1, 11:23 pm, Giorgos Tzampanakis
<giorgos.tzampana... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Modulok suggested using ORM software. ORM should not really be needed if
> you are aiming at scientific content for your application, you should
> be fine with straight SQL (many consider ORM a hindrance rather than
> help for any project  [1], [2]). But if you do find the need for ORM
> then SQLAlchemy is very good and is considered pretty much a de facto
> standard in the Python world.

SQLAlchemy isn't just an ORM, though. Even more compelling, to me, is
its SQL Expression Language, which allows you to programmatically
write SQL expressions in a cross-database compatible way. It makes it
a lot easier to port your application to another database backend
should it require it. I tend to start projects with a local instance
of sqlite, for example, before migrating to PostGres/Oracle for
production.