PEP8 79 char max

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Jul 31 12:35:05 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-31, Neil Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> wrote:
> On 2013-07-31, Tim Chase <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why do you have tables in your Python code?
>>
>> I've had occasion to write things like:
>>
>>   for name, value, description in (
>>       ("cost", 42, "How much it cost"),
>>       ("status", 3141, "Status code from ISO-3.14159"),
>>       ):
>>     do_something(name, value)
>>     print(description)
>>
>> I interpret Grant's statement as wanting the "table" to look like
>>
>>   for name, value, description in (
>>       ("cost",   42,   "How much it cost"),
>>       ("status", 3141, "Status code from ISO-3.14159"),
>>       ):
>>     do_something(name, value)
>>     print(description)
>>
>> which does give some modest readability benefits, but at a
>> creation cost I personally am unwilling to pay.
>
> I'm actually OK with the creation cost, but not the maintenance cost.

In my experience, aligning columns in large tables reduces maintence
cost by making it much easier/faster to see what you've got and by
providing a way to visually "prompt" you for the correct value in the
correct place when you add new lines.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! hubub, hubub, HUBUB,
                                  at               hubub, hubub, hubub, HUBUB,