PEP8 79 char max

Joshua Landau joshua at landau.ws
Wed Jul 31 02:16:52 EDT 2013

On 30 July 2013 18:52, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 2013-07-30, Joshua Landau <joshua at landau.ws> wrote:

> for
> >>
> >> By my (limited) experience with proportional fonts, they can be useful
> only
> >> with something like elastic tabstops[0]. But, as a general rule, I
> simply
> >> found more "squared" to just use a fixed-width font.
> >>

> > Not if you give up on the whole "aligning" thing.
>
> You don't think that Python code at a given level should all be
> aligned?  I find it very helpful when a given block of code is
> visually left-aligned.

I don't understand what you mean. My coding practices almost never require
anything more than the initial indentation to have things line up -- any
other form of alignment is in my opinion overrated. Maybe it helps you, but
personally I don't like it.

As I've been saying, the whole thing is personal preference and
there are no good proportional fonts at 8px :(.

To explain, I tend to take the "HTML" form of alignment by wrapping:

open stuff stuff stuff close

open
    stuff
    stuff
    stuff
close

and thus everything important lines up anyway. Extra non-indentation
indents are a burden for me and look worse (again, personal preference).

I also find intializers for tables of data to be much more easily read
> and maintained if the columns can be aligned.

Why do you have tables in your Python code?