Simple Python script as SMTP server for outgoing e-mails?

Gilles nospam at nospam.com
Sun Jul 21 16:34:46 EDT 2013

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:46:52 -0600, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com>
wrote:
>What you're looking for is not an SMTP server but a Mail Transfer Agent,
>called an MTA.
>
>Pretty much all distros ship with an MTA by default, even if the SMTP
>server part of it isn't installed or running. And often the MTA is, for
>compatibility reasons, /usr/sbin/sendmail.
>
>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/73781/sending-mail-via-sendmail-from-python
>
>I'm sure there are MTA's implemented in python. Now that you know what
>they are called (not SMTP servers!) you can search for them.
>
>Dennis is correct, though, that most ISPs do block outbound port 25
>connections for security and spam reasons, and require you to use their
>SMTP server, which precludes the use of the local MTA.

Thanks for the infos. Ideally, I was looking for a simple Windows app
as MTA, but a Python script is OK.

I'm not sure my ISP blocks outbound port 25 connections. I'll
experiment with a small Linux box.

I wist they would use a smarter SPAM filter that wouldn't flag
perfectly legit-looking outgoing e-mails.