What does it take to implement a chat system in Python (Not asking for code just advice before I start my little project)

Owen Marshall o at owenmarshall.invalid
Thu Jul 18 20:54:09 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-18, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/18/2013 12:19 PM, Owen Marshall wrote:
>> Huh - I (foolishly) didn't realize gmane actually had NNTP, I've always
>> used it to search mailing lists. If the list dumped to usenet (much like
>> c.l.python) I'd post through sunsite.dk, which is a very nice usenet
>> provider. But that still meant several annoying mailing list
>> subscriptions.
>>
>> ... man, I'm really glad I read your post :-)
>
> I'm a bit confused.  This list *is* c.l.python (I happen to read via
> e-mail through the mailing list).  So you can reach it from sunsite.dk
> can you not?

Doesn't surprise me, I was confusing ;-)

What I was saying was that my workflow used to be this:

For maliing lists that dump to a newsgroup (c.l.python) I'd post to the
group via usenet (sunsite.dk)

For mailing lists that _do not_ have a direct newsgroup gateway (flask,
etc.) I'd have to subscribe and read them in my mail client.

So I used to think gmane was just a way of reading a bunch of mailing
lists. *But now* I know it is much more - it's an NNTP <==> mail gateway
that also has a web viewer.

Now I can point my slrn to news.gmane.net and see the flask mailing
list, ruby-talk, ... -- which I much prefer to using email.

Again, perfectly obvious stuff had I actually _read_ the gmane FAQ. But
who has time for that ;-)

--
      -owen