What does it take to implement a chat system in Python (Not asking for code just advice before I start my little project)

Owen Marshall o at owenmarshall.invalid
Thu Jul 18 14:19:37 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-18, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2013-07-18, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> To read this list as a newsgroup use news.gmane.org. The difference
>>> between the mailing list interface and newsgroup interface is that the
>>> latter automatically segregates messages by group and only downloads the
>>> messages you want to read. Gmane is also a better way to search the
>>> archive.
>>
>> Also newsgroup interface allow you reply to messages that have already
>> been posted before your subscription.
>
> Indeed.  I read about 20 mailing lists by pointing a newsreader (I use
> slrn) at gmane.org.  I find it to take far less effort than actualling
> having all of those messages actually sent to me.  For _some_ of the
> gmane groups/lists you will actually have to subscribe to the mailing
> list in question if you want to be allowed to post messages -- but in
> your account settings for that mailing list server you can turn off
> delivery, so that it doesn't actually send you any of the postings.
>
> I really can't recommend gmane.org highly enough.
>
> [I don't actually read the python list using gmane.org, since I've
> read it from a Usenet news server via the group comp.lang.python since
> long before I discovered gmane.org.]

Huh - I (foolishly) didn't realize gmane actually had NNTP, I've always
used it to search mailing lists. If the list dumped to usenet (much like
c.l.python) I'd post through sunsite.dk, which is a very nice usenet
provider. But that still meant several annoying mailing list
subscriptions.

... man, I'm really glad I read your post :-)

--
      -owen