Question regarding building Python Windows installer

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 16:51:05 EDT 2013

(Side note: Please avoid top-posting in future.  Bottom-posting keeps
context more clearly)

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Mcadams, Philip W
<philip.w.mcadams at intel.com> wrote:
> Yes.  My goal was to create the installer to put the modified python on my Mercurial server.  So I could have effectively copied over the <source tree with your compiled interpreter\Lib\site-packages to the <Python2.7 install dir>\Lib\site-packages on the server?  What I was trying to resolve was the issue with large Mercurial pushes.  I instead am using the IIS Crypto tool to resolve the issue.  I'd found a link that stated that modification to the _ssl.c module in Python could also fix the issue but that the python source would to be recompiled.  Since we are going with IISCrypto the Python change is no longer needed.  But out curiosity, and in case I ran into a situation where did indeed need to make a fix to Python I've wondered what's the best way to do that.  Hopefully this gives you a little insight on what I'm trying to do.  Thanks for your replies.

Hmmm, not quite.  <source tree with your compiled
interpreter>\Lib\site-packages would be empty.  I meant the other way
around, copying the installed site-packages dir into the source tree
to use mercurial from the source tree.  I think you'd also have to
copy hg and hg.bat from <install dir>\Scripts as well, though.  You
might have been able to get away with just copying the newly compiled
_ssl.pyd from your source tree to <install dir>\DLLs, but I can't
guarantee that.

I think the solution you've gone for is a much better solution in the
long run, though.  Building your own Python (on Windows) should
probably be a last resort.

--
Zach