Dihedral

Devyn Collier Johnson devyncjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 08:52:48 EDT 2013

On 07/15/2013 08:36 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 06:06:06 -0400, Devyn Collier Johnson wrote:
>
>> On 07/14/2013 02:17 PM, 88888 Dihedral wrote:
> [...]
>>> Do we want volunteers to speed up
>>> search operations in the string module in Python?
>> It would be nice if someone could speed it up.
> Devyn,
>
> 88888 Dihedral is our resident bot, not a human being. Nobody knows who
> controls it, and why they are running it, but we are pretty certain that
> it is a bot responding mechanically to keywords in people's posts.
>
> It's a very clever bot, but still a bot. About one post in four is
> meaningless jargon, the other three are relevant enough to fool people
> into thinking that maybe it is a human being. It had me fooled for a long
> time.

Wow! Our mailing list has a pet bot. I bet other mailing lists are so
jealous of us. Who ever created Dihedral is a genius!

Artificial Intelligence developers put chatbots on mailing lists so that
the program can learn. I use Python3 to program AI applications. If you
see my Launchpad account, you will see my two AI projects - Neobot and
Novabot. (https://launchpad.net/neobot Neo and Nova are still unstable)
AI developers let their bots loose on the Internet to learn from people.
Dihedral is learning from us. Dihedral only responses when it feels it
has sufficient knowledge on the topic. Chatbots want to appear human.
That is their goal. We should feel honored that Dihedral's botmaster
feels that this mailinglist would benefit the development of Dihedral's
knowledge.

Devyn Collier Johnson