FSR and unicode compliance - was Re: RE Module Performance

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jul 28 13:36:00 EDT 2013

On 7/28/2013 11:52 AM, Michael Torrie wrote:

> 3. UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings, being variable width encodings, mean that
> slicing a string would be very very slow,

Not necessarily so. See below.

> and that's unacceptable for
> the use cases of python strings.  I'm assuming you understand big O
> notation, as you talk of experience in many languages over the years.
> FSR and UTF-32 both are O(1) for slicing and lookups.

Slicing is at least O(m) where m is the length of the slice.

> UTF-8, 16 and any variable-width encoding are always O(n).\

I posted about a week ago, in response to Chris A., a method by which
lookup for UTF-16 can be made O(log2 k), or perhaps more accurately,
O(1+log2(k+1)), where k is the number of non-BMP chars in the string.

This uses an auxiliary array of k ints. An auxiliary array of n ints
would make UFT-16 lookup O(1), but then one is using more space than
with UFT-32. Similar comments apply to UTF-8.

The unicode standard says that a single strings should use exactly one
coding scheme. It does *not* say that all strings in an application must
use the same scheme. I just rechecked a few days ago. It also does not
say that an application cannot associate additional data with a string
to make processing of the string easier.

--
Terry Jan Reedy