Stack Overflow moderator “animuson”

Mats Peterson matsp999 at aim.com
Wed Jul 10 08:06:06 EDT 2013

Joshua Landau <joshua at landau.ws> wrote:
> On 10 July 2013 08:55, Mats Peterson <matsp999 at aim.com> wrote:
>> <Unjustified Insult>. [anumuson from Stack Overflow] has deleted all
>> my postings regarding Python regular expression matching being
>> extremely slow compared to Perl. Additionally my account has been
>> suspended for 7 days. <Unjustified Insult>.
>
> Whilst I don't normally respond to trolls, I'm actually curious.
>
> Do you have any non-trivial, properly benchmarked real-world examples
> that this affects, remembering to use full Unicode support in Perl (as
> Python has it by default)?
>
> Remember to try on both major CPython versions, and PyPy -- all of
> which are in large-scale usage. Remember not just to use the builtin
> re module, as most people also use https://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex
> and https://code.google.com/p/re2/ when they are appropriate, so
> pathological cases for re aren't actually a concern anyone cares
> about.
>
> If you actually can satisfy these basic standards for a comparison (as
> I'm sure any competent person with so much bravo could) I'd be willing
> to converse with you. I'd like to see these results where Python compares
> as "extremely slow". Note that, by your own wording, a 30% drop is irrelevant.

I haven't provided a "real-world" example, since I expect you Python
Einsteins to be able do an A/B test between Python and Perl yourselves
(provided you know Perl, of course, which I'm afraid is not always the
case). And why would I use any "custom" version of Python, when I don't
have to do that with Perl?

Mats

--
Mats Peterson