Re: Stack Overflow moderator “animuson”

Joshua Landau joshua at landau.ws
Wed Jul 10 07:12:10 EDT 2013

On 10 July 2013 08:55, Mats Peterson <matsp999 at aim.com> wrote:
> <Unjustified Insult>. [anumuson from Stack Overflow] has deleted all
> my postings regarding Python regular expression matching being
> extremely slow compared to Perl. Additionally my account has been
> suspended for 7 days. <Unjustified Insult>.

Whilst I don't normally respond to trolls, I'm actually curious.

Do you have any non-trivial, properly benchmarked real-world examples
that this affects, remembering to use full Unicode support in Perl (as
Python has it by default)?

Remember to try on both major CPython versions, and PyPy -- all of
which are in large-scale usage. Remember not just to use the builtin
re module, as most people also use https://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex
and https://code.google.com/p/re2/ when they are appropriate, so
pathological cases for re aren't actually a concern anyone cares
about.

If you actually can satisfy these basic standards for a comparison (as
I'm sure any competent person with so much bravo could) I'd be willing
to converse with you. I'd like to see these results where Python compares
as "extremely slow". Note that, by your own wording, a 30% drop is irrelevant.