Best Scripting Language for Embedded Work?

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Jul 9 21:44:48 EDT 2013

On 07/09/2013 09:29 PM, David T. Ashley wrote:
> We develop embedded software for 32-bit micros using Windows as the
> development platform.
>
> We are seeking a general purpose scripting language to automate
> certain tasks, like cleaning out certain directories of certain types
> of files in preparation for ZIP'ing, generating certain source files
> automatically, etc.
>
> Selection criteria:
>
> a)Should be able to compile the script interpreter as a monolithic
> executable (no .DLL dependencies, etc.) for easy versioning and
> distribution of the script interpreter.

Oh, I thought you were going to run this on Windows.  You're just
developing it on Windows, and you want to cross-compile to target some
other platform?  Which?

>  (Note that I'm not asking
> that the script be a single executable, just the interpreter.  To run
> a script you'd need both the script and the interpreter.  The script
> would be a text file, and the interpreter would be a single .EXE.)

If you're also constraining your "program" to a single text file, you
don't want Python.  It uses modules, imported from your script to do
much of the work.

> b)Should be extensible, in that one could add commands or library
> functions to the script interpreter in C (for efficiency), and the
> whole script interpreter could again consist of a single executable
> with no other dependencies.  (Note that I'm not asking that the script
> be a single executable, just the interpreter.  To run a script you'd
> need both the script and the interpreter.  The script would be a text
> file, and the interpreter would be a single .EXE.)

And that's supposed to HELP efficiency??

> c)Should be able to spawn compilers and capture the output, do file
> I/O, and all the other minor expected stuff.
>
> d)Graphical capability would be nice.
>
> I know that Tcl/Tk would do all of the above,

I doubt it.

--
DaveA