Best Scripting Language for Embedded Work?

David T. Ashley dashley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 21:29:35 EDT 2013

We develop embedded software for 32-bit micros using Windows as the
development platform.

We are seeking a general purpose scripting language to automate
certain tasks, like cleaning out certain directories of certain types
of files in preparation for ZIP'ing, generating certain source files
automatically, etc.

Selection criteria:

a)Should be able to compile the script interpreter as a monolithic
executable (no .DLL dependencies, etc.) for easy versioning and
distribution of the script interpreter.  (Note that I'm not asking
that the script be a single executable, just the interpreter.  To run
a script you'd need both the script and the interpreter.  The script
would be a text file, and the interpreter would be a single .EXE.)

b)Should be extensible, in that one could add commands or library
functions to the script interpreter in C (for efficiency), and the
whole script interpreter could again consist of a single executable
with no other dependencies.  (Note that I'm not asking that the script
be a single executable, just the interpreter.  To run a script you'd
need both the script and the interpreter.  The script would be a text
file, and the interpreter would be a single .EXE.)

c)Should be able to spawn compilers and capture the output, do file
I/O, and all the other minor expected stuff.

d)Graphical capability would be nice.

I know that Tcl/Tk would do all of the above, but what about Python?
Any other alternatives?

Thanks, Dave Ashley