hex dump w/ or w/out utf-8 chars

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 18:51:22 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:

>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
>>>
>>> But Unicode has nothing to do with Guido, and it has existed for about 25
>>> years (if I recall correctly).
>>

>> Depends how you measure. According to [1], the work kinda began back
>> then (25 years ago being 1988), but it wasn't till 1991/92 that the
>> spec was published. Also, the full Unicode range with multiple planes
>> came about in 1996, with Unicode 2.0, so that could also be considered
>> the beginning of Unicode. But that still means it's nearly old enough
>> to drink, so programmers ought to be aware of it.
>>

> Well, then I'm glad I stuck the qualifier on it.  I remember where I was
> working, and that company folded in 1992.  I was working on NT long before
> its official release in 1993, and it used Unicode, even if the spec was
> sliding along.  I'm sure I got unofficial versions of things through
> Microsoft, at the time.

No doubt! Of course, this list is good at dealing with the hard facts
and making sure the archives are accurate, but that doesn't change
your memory.

Anyway, your fundamental point isn't materially affected by whether
Unicode is 17 or 25 years old. It's been around plenty long enough by
now, we should use it. Same with IPv6, too...

ChrisA