hex dump w/ or w/out utf-8 chars

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Mon Jul 8 18:45:46 EDT 2013

On 07/08/2013 05:49 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
>> But Unicode has nothing to do with Guido, and it has existed for about 25
>> years (if I recall correctly).
>
> Depends how you measure. According to [1], the work kinda began back
> then (25 years ago being 1988), but it wasn't till 1991/92 that the
> spec was published. Also, the full Unicode range with multiple planes
> came about in 1996, with Unicode 2.0, so that could also be considered
> the beginning of Unicode. But that still means it's nearly old enough
> to drink, so programmers ought to be aware of it.

Well, then I'm glad I stuck the qualifier on it.  I remember where I was
working, and that company folded in 1992.  I was working on NT long
before its official release in 1993, and it used Unicode, even if the
spec was sliding along.  I'm sure I got unofficial versions of things
through Microsoft, at the time.

--
DaveA