Editor Ergonomics [was: Important features for editors]

Paul Rudin paul.nospam at rudin.co.uk
Thu Jul 11 11:42:02 EDT 2013

Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> writes:

>  This is why I never understood the attraction of something like
> xemacs, where you use the mouse to make text selections and run
> commands out of menus.

Menus are good for learning the functionality, and you have them just as
much in Gnu emacs as in xemacs. You can even use them absent a windowing
system! Text selection with a mouse is a different thing. Sometimes it's
more convenient, sometimes it's not.

But I agree with your general point - it's often quicker to keep your
hands in position, which is where knowing keybinds for everything
scores.