Editor Ergonomics [was: Important features for editors]

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jul 8 03:39:09 EDT 2013

On Sun, 07 Jul 2013 22:34:46 -0700, jussij wrote:

> On Sunday, July 7, 2013 12:41:02 PM UTC+10, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> I am not an ergonomic expert, but I understand that moving from mouse
>> to keyboard actually helps prevent RSI, because it slows down the rate
>> of keystrokes and uses different muscle groups.
>
> After 20+ years of coding using the Brief keyboard mapping I have so far
> I've gotten by with no perceivable RSI.
>
> On the half dozen occasions that I can recall experienced wrist pain, I
> remember the pain being worst when trying to interfacing with the mouse.
>
> So at least for me the mouse does not help.

Chances are that you had one of those ridiculously high mice that force
your wrist to bend upwards ("dorsiflexion"), or otherwise were bending
the wrist inappropriately. When mousing, your wrist should be as close to
straight as possible. It helps if your mouse has a low profile, so that
you can rest your wrist and forearm on the desk and control your mouse
with your fingers without bending the wrist.

Assuming that you're keeping your wrists straight, then shifting from
typing to mousing should reduce the chances of RSI because you are using
different muscle groups. But if your mouse position is worse than your
typing position, yes, that will probably cause problems...

--
Steven