UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xb6 in position 0: invalid start byte

Νίκος Gr33k nikos at superhost.gr
Fri Jul 5 10:27:31 EDT 2013

Στις 5/7/2013 5:11 μμ, ο/η Lele Gaifax έγραψε:
> Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> writes:
>
>> You're quoting from my error output, and that's caused because I don't
>> have such an environment variable.  But you do.
>
> Dave, maybe you already know, but that variable is "injected" by the CGI
> mechanism, is not coming from the OP shell environment.
>
> As Νίκος discovered, when he "cloudfare" (whatever that means) his site,
> the REMOTE_HOST envvar contains some (I guess) latin-greek encoded
> string, and the remote address is carried by a different envvar...

Exactly only when i CloudFlare(www.cloudflare.com) the domain the
hostname cannot be retrieved.

At least i managed to solve this by:

try:
   host = socket.gethostbyaddr( os.environ['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP'] )[0]
except Exception as e:
   host = repr(e)

Seems like when you cloudflare a domain you can  no longer have the
originates ip address of the visitor but you have to read the above
environmental variable to be bale to retrieve it!

--
What is now proved was at first only imagined!