Important features for editors

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sat Jul 6 02:52:20 EDT 2013

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 23:13:24 -0400, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes...
> The fact that rms has crippling RSI should indicate that emacs'
> ergonomics is not right.

As someone crippled by Emacs ( actual cause not known), I should also
point out that RMS, instead of doing the responsible thing and using
speech recognition software, burns the hands of other human beings by
using them as biological speech recognition units.

Now for me, an important feature for editor is the ability to command it,
not by keystrokes but by function/method invocation. This is be the first
step to reducing the disasters caused by misrecognition events injecting
unintentional commands into an editor. For example, bring up a file in VI
in close your eyes and type some string like "save file" or "end of line".
What kind of damage do you get?

With an editor RPC, you can bypass all this damage. You turn off keystroke
input at the start of a recognition event and all keyboard queue data is
injected as characters. All commands are injected by the API.

There's a few other things, I need in a very tiny editor to help a part of
my accessibility problem. One of the ways I deal with speech recognition
user interfaces by creating tiny domain specific languages to solve a
problem. You can say them, they are resilient in the face of
misrecognition, edit them and you can replay them. Bunch of wins.

The tiny editor needs to use the right Windows edit control to work with
NaturallySpeaking, save data so that I never have to think about it. It's
always on disk, always safe. If I invoke a file by name, I get exactly one
instance. And last, I want the ability to filter the contents of the
editor through a bit of Python code so I can do transformations on opening
the file or writing the file.

Further down the road, instead of the classic syntax highlighting, I need
dynamic naming of features so that I can say things like "replace third
argument", "modify index" for format local times using pattern.

I will admit the last one is a bit of a cheat because that's a subset of
the domain specific notation I think that earlier. Not a solved problem :-)

So important feature editor change depending on your perspective, or
should I say, state of impending disability. We all become disabled with
age, just some of us age much faster than the rest of the population