Important features for editors

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 23:13:24 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:

> While I started with vi just slightly before encountering emacs
> (mid-to-late 1980s, both), my main trouble with choosing emacs was
> the heavy use of control keys. Vi's modal nature means that in
> "edit" mode, all the keystrokes are available as edit controls.
> Emacs' modeless nature means that all the edit controls must be
> control-this and meta/escape-that.
>
> For this reason, I often expand EMACS as Escape Meta Alt Control Shift.

Yes...
The fact that rms has crippling RSI should indicate that emacs' ergonomics
is not right.

> I'm a vi user. Once I mastered "hit ESC by reflex when you pause
> typing an insert" I was never confused above which mode I was in.
>
> And now my fingers know vi.

Yes...
vi: (n) A program that has two modes, one in which it beeps and the other
in which it corrupts your file :-)

>  Cheers,
> --
> Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>
>
> A novice of the temple once approached the Chief Priest with a question.
>
>   "Master, does Emacs have the Buddha nature?" the novice asked.
>
>   The Chief Priest had been in the temple for many years and could be
> relied
>   upon to know these things.  He thought for several minutes before
> replying.
>
>   "I don't see why not.  It's got bloody well everything else."
>
>   With that, the Chief Priest went to lunch.  The novice suddenly achieved
> enlightenment, several years later.
>
> Commentary:
>
>         His Master is kind,
>         Answering his FAQ quickly,
>         With thought and sarcasm.

Heard somewhere: Emacs is my operating system and linux is its device
driver.

No I dont belong to that camp -- Actually I am quite dissatisfied with
emacs nowadays... Keep trying eclipse and getting repulsed by the gorilla.

Philosophy being this: What functional programming is to program-semantics,
fast-branching (as in git) is to program-source[1].  To complete the
trinity, one needs semi-automated refactoring.
The first I can do in my sleep; the second still noob-status, the third yet
to start!

[1] Not necessarily source-code See
http://blog.vctr.me/posts/why-you-should-learn-git.html