how to calculate reputation

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 18:00:41 EDT 2013

On 2 July 2013 22:43, Surya Kasturi <suryak at ieee.org> wrote:
> Hi all, this seems to be quite stupid question but I am "confused"..
> We set the initial value to 0, +1 for up-vote and -1 for down-vote! nice.
>
> I have a list of bool values True, False (True for up vote, False for
> down-vote).. submitted by users.
>
> [True, False, False, True....]
>
> Now to calculate the total reputation
>
> should I take True = +1, False=0  [or] True = +1, False=-1 ?? for adding
> all.
>
> I am missing something here.. and that's clear.. anyone please help me on
> it?

It depends what you want to do.

I suggest http://www.evanmiller.org/how-not-to-sort-by-average-rating.html.
This aint so simple, but it's the correct way to sort by "approval".
In fact, it's bloody confusing.

To assume that only the "sum" approval counts, I'd not suggest {True:
1, False: 0}. The problem is that a "downvote" then becomes pointless.
So probably go with False as -1.

So you'd want:

sum((1 if vote else -1) for vote in votes)