how to calculate reputation

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 18:29:38 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Surya Kasturi <suryak at ieee.org> wrote:
> I think I didnt explain it clearly.. let me make it clear..
>
> 1. The database we are using is having BooleanField for it!! so, cant do
> anything
> 2. I am not looking for sorting algorithms .. just simple math :) It sounds
> crazy but let me describe my confusion

Nobody has suggested a *sorting* algorithm.

> lets have 3 users with
>
> [null, null, null]
> reputation = 0
>
> [T, - - ]
> rept = 1
>
> [T T T]
> rept = 3
>
> [T T F]
> rept = 1 (its jumping from 3 to 1 -->but generally, we observe only decrease
> in 1 right?)

I'm with you so far.  You see the reputation drop by 2 here because
you have both removed an up-vote and added a down-vote.  Each of these
things individually will cause the sum to drop by 1.

> [T T F]
> rept = 3 (its jumping from 1 to 3)
>
> These jumpings are common? or my logic is going any wrong?

This is the same scenario as the previous one, so I don't understand
why you identify the reputation sum as 3 here.