Bug reports [was Re: Python list code of conduct]

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Jul 3 17:52:16 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-03, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <kr20h3$omo$1 at reader2.panix.com>,
>  Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2013-07-03, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:

>> > The sad thing about this statement is that IPv6 has been around for
>> > about as long as Python.
>>
>> I've recently added IPv6 support to some embedded firmware.  We had to
>> add it because various purchasing people (mostly government) have
>> non-negotiable feature checklists and "IPv6 support" is starting to
>> show up on the checklists.
>
> Yup.  I did one of those.    Hmmm, just found the powerpoint deck dated
> March 2006, so we probably started the project around September 2005.
> Same deal, we couldn't sell into government accounts unless we had IPv6.
> Have they actually used it?  I doubt it.
>
> The really annoying thing about the project was I never got around to
> implementing rfc1924.

Thankfully, the network library for our RTOS had support functions to
handle rfc1924.  Otherwise I would have had to do it myself because
there's no way I could have made it through the project having to read
and type full-length IPv6 addresses the whole time.

>> However, so far, none of the people requiring IPv6 support actually
>> have any plans to use IPv6 -- ever.
>
> What's known in the industry as "shelfware".

Yep.  99.9% of the time, our products are used on small, isolated
industrial networks that have little or no internet connectivity.  The
product line started out when a lot of customers weren't even using
IPv4 yet. We still have customers who use our products with all IP
support disabled (though these days it's always on networks that
have other IP traffic).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! On the road, ZIPPY
                                  at               is a pinhead without a