Bug reports [was Re: Python list code of conduct]

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Jul 3 16:31:13 EDT 2013

In article <kr20h3$omo$1 at reader2.panix.com>,
 Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 2013-07-03, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> > In article <mailman.4153.1372838561.3114.python-list at python.org>,
> >  Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Of course, it's possible for there to be dark corners. But if you're
> >> working with those, you know it full well. The dark corners of Python
> >> might be in some of its more obscure modules, or maybe in IPv6
> >> handling,
> >
> > The sad thing about this statement is that IPv6 has been around for
> > about as long as Python.
>
> I've recently added IPv6 support to some embedded firmware.  We had to
> add it because various purchasing people (mostly government) have
> non-negotiable feature checklists and "IPv6 support" is starting to
> show up on the checklists.

Yup.  I did one of those.    Hmmm, just found the powerpoint deck dated
March 2006, so we probably started the project around September 2005.
Same deal, we couldn't sell into government accounts unless we had IPv6.
Have they actually used it?  I doubt it.

The really annoying thing about the project was I never got around to
implementing rfc1924.

> However, so far, none of the people requiring IPv6 support actually
> have any plans to use IPv6 -- ever.

What's known in the industry as "shelfware".