Bug reports [was Re: Python list code of conduct]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 10:15:36 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <mailman.4153.1372838561.3114.python-list at python.org>,
>  Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Of course, it's possible for there to be dark corners. But if you're
>> working with those, you know it full well. The dark corners of Python
>> might be in some of its more obscure modules, or maybe in IPv6
>> handling,
>
> The sad thing about this statement is that IPv6 has been around for
> about as long as Python.

Yeah, and yet so many ISPs simply don't support it (only one of the
Australian ISPs I've worked with does - Internode). So heaps of code
just doesn't get tested in an IPv6 environment. I don't know whether
there's anything in Python that would fail in that way, but there
might be; if someone starts writing a DNS server in Python and runs
into difficulties with AAAA records, then it actually might be a
library bug.

But the concept still applies: Extraordinary claims require
extraordinary evidence.[1] Before ranting loudly about how Python is
buggy, make absolutely sure you're right, and show the evidence.

ChrisA

[1] http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#idp5249360