Python list code of conduct

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 15:48:54 EDT 2013

On 2 July 2013 16:51, Steve Simmons <square.steve at gmail.com> wrote:
> Erm,
>
> It probably isn't the best time to start this post but I was wondering...
>
> Does this list have a code of conduct or a netiqeutte (sp?)
> statement/requirement?
>
> If not, should it?
>
> Is the membership of this list presently in the right frame of mind to
> create one or update any existing one?
>
> The reason I ask is that it seems to me that if we (the current membership
> of the list) could agree to a set of preferred/required behaviours we would
> at least have a framework by which to measure unwelcome posts. And, more
> importantly, to guide newcomers in understanding that we are enthusiasts who
> choose to discuss Python and *voluntarily* help solve problems with Python
> for the less experienced members.

I don't know if we do and I'll support such measures (pending that
they're done intelligently) but unfortunately there seem to be at
least two problems with your plan.

- There seems to be no authority for upholding such rules
- Newbies never read around

That said, the idea itself is well grounded. I'd suggest stealing the
rules Python already has somewhere.